At Hands of Heartland, we’ve made it our driving mission to provide safe and supportive environments for people across the Omaha metropolitan area with developmental disabilities, intellectual or otherwise. We truly believe that through the services we make available to these people and their families, that they are able to pursue and attain a quality of life they might not otherwise achieve.
Those with developmental disabilities face a wide array of challenges, as the conditions that cause these disabilities manifest in any number of physical or mental challenges. Our goal is to help those who come to our facilities successfully face these challenges and ultimately overcome them. In order to facilitate and promote achievement, independence, interdependence, self-determination, and ultimately community integration, we offer a wide array of services designed to meet the challenges they face across every facet of their lives.
To varying degrees, people with developmental disabilities may need help to navigate their day-to-day lives at home. While parents and family members often take up the role of caretaker, it’s important families know that there are solutions and living arrangements they can access through providers such as Hands of Heartland that allow their family members to live in settings that over time help them to be more independent.
- Continuous Residential Services place up to 3 individuals in a home with around-the-clock staff care who provide residents with structured community-based living goals.
- Independent Living Services provide individuals with increased independence to live in pairs and minimal oversight
- Supported Family Services allow individuals to remain at home, with the family being supported by our trained staff.
- Shared Living Services are a modified version of the Independent Living model, where individuals each are provided with the around-the-clock care necessary to their condition.
Interacting with the public and taking part in everyday activities can often be challenging or even beyond the capabilities of unsupported individuals with developmental disabilities. Our habilitative programs are designed to build social skills, support community integration, and foster independence.
- Day Services include activities such as arts & crafts, exercise, community volunteering.
- Community Integration Services include community co-ops, pottery classes, gardening, and other activities alongside members of the community.
- Supported Employment Services work directly with employers throughout the Omaha economy to create employment opportunities that might otherwise be inaccessible.
Even the most dedicated family members and professional caregivers need a break from providing care and support to their charges. Our respite services are designed to seamlessly take over for caregivers, allowing them to attend appointments or other personal engagements without leaving the individual unattended. This service can also be leveraged for longer periods in the event that a caregiver becomes ill or otherwise unable to care for their charges.
Providing members of the developmentally disabled community with access to programs that improve every facet of their lives is our driving mission, and it is one that we have excelled at since we opened our doors in 1998. If you have a loved one who would benefit from touring our program or you want to learn more about our facilities, don’t hesitate to reach out to our helpful, experienced staff.