The staff at Hands of Heartland are extremely grateful for the support pouring in from the communities where we operate facilities that provide people with I/DD with intellectual support and advocacy. We’ve been working to expand our mission gradually since we opened our doors in Bellevue for the first time in 1998, with the goal of ensuring we empower and enrich the lives of individuals with I/DD and their families by providing pathways to empowerment and independence to which they might not otherwise have access.
Ready to speak with a I/DD advocate?
As we continue on our path to becoming Nebraska’s primary provider of care for people with I/DD, we are proud to announce that we opened our doors at 3012 S. Locust Street Grand Island, NE 68801 in November 2020 in Grand Island, NE, where we will be providing our habilitative mission to the nearby cities of Hastings and Kearney and the surrounding communities.
We build our community facilities around the same pillars that we’ve built Hands of Heartland’s services around: people with developmental disabilities are first and foremost people who deserve to live, find employment, have access to educational resources, and be able to grow, develop, and interact with others throughout the community. Bringing this mission to reality requires that individuals with I/DD and other disabilities be provided with access to resources that empower, enable, and support them in pursuing these experiences that they might not otherwise be able to access.
At Hands of Heartland, our facilities are designed to support habilitation at every stage of life and development. Our programs include, but are not limited to:
- Residential Habilitation programs include various resident and care configurations depending upon the person’s specific needs. From continuous residential to independent living and supported family arrangements, we have the staff and expertise to show that we’re the right shared living provider that can provide the right living situation to fit the needs of any individual under your current care.
- Community Employment Services are available to those who have the ability to work in a professional setting with the proper accommodations. Our team of professionals works with local businesses to identify and build out opportunities that are safe and can be modified to the needs of disabled individuals, providing benefits to local businesses, the community, and people under our support and their families.
- Vocational Rehabilitation programs bridge the gap between our residential and employment programs, helping people to learn new skills, navigate interpersonal relationships in a variety of settings, and in a general sense seek to be successful in their pursuit to work side-by-side with coworkers, employers, and other people in our habilitative programs.
Being a caregiver is a challenging pursuit in life, as caregivers often don’t have access to self-care resources while having themselves to provide constant care for an individual. In the long-term care industry, we refer to these resources that provide a break for caregivers to handle their personal lives and take a mental-health break from their long-term care responsibilities as “respite care services,” in that caregivers are given a respite, or break, from their day to day duties. Hands of Heartland understands how crucial respite care services are to the health and wellbeing of both caregivers and the people for whom they provide support. We provide a number of respite care options to caregivers in the communities where Hands of Heartland operates offices across Nebraska, and we’re happy to welcome the caregivers of Grand Island under that umbrella.
Since our inception in 1998, Hands of Heartland has been putting a spin on the managed care industry, in the hopes of creating opportunities for development and habilitation in people with I/DD that humanizes the process and bridges and facilitates acceptance with the local community. In order to accomplish this very tricky feat, we’ve come to rely on three key strategies:
- We only hire the most professional and experienced staff in the industry.
- Hands of Heartland is working hard to maximize exposure of the brand across Nebraska by opening as many locations as possible. Grand Island is the latest, but it won’t be the last.
- We build our services from a foundation of compassionate care. We truly believe all individuals should have equal access to opportunities in life to experience, live, work, and not only survive, but thrive and improve. We never take the approach that someone under our support cannot do something, but rather focus on ways to open the paths to how they can.
With the support and compassion of the Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings, and surrounding communities, Hands of Heartland is confident that we can continue to expand our vision and bring our mission to life in this new and welcoming Nebraska community.
Want to learn more about activities being hosted by the new Grand Island habilitation center? Reach out to our team today to schedule a tour. We can’t wait to meet you all and welcome you into our family.